Why bother with sunscreen?
While we all love being outdoors and enjoying the summer sun, it’s important to remember the dangers of overexposure to the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. If we get too much sun exposure and are not adequately protected with a good quality sunscreen, we can put ourselves at risk for skin damage. Sunburn, wrinkling, premature aging, as well as skin cancer, are risk factors we need to be aware of.
Here are some tips for using sunscreen:
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going out in the sun so it’s absorbed into the skin
- If you’re outdoors a lot during the day, re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours
- After swimming or exercising, re-apply sunscreen
- Use sunscreen to cover all areas of skin that are exposed to the sun including ears, back, shoulders, back of the legs and knees
- Toss out old bottles of sunscreen or look for an expiration date
What to look for when you buy sunscreen:
- Pick a broad-spectrum, good quality sunscreen that protects against UV-A and UV-B rays
- Make sure it’s waterproof, especially if you’re swimming or sweating
- Use a sun protection factor of at least SPF 30
- Be aware of the expiration date as some sunscreens lose their effectiveness over time
- Choose a water-based sunscreen if you have oily skin or are acne sensitive
Introducing EltaMD Sunscreen!
Belcara Health Dermatology is excited to introduce a superior line of sun protection products within the EltaMD skincare line. Their sunscreen products include broad spectrum formulas designed for all skin types. They are long-lasting and formulated with zinc oxide, providing SPF 30 to SPF 50 ratings. Additionally, these products are lightweight, non-comedogenic, nourishing and moisturizing.
To order, please call our skincare center at 410.296.0414