Our skin changes with the weather and therefore requires different care and treatments throughout the changing seasons. In winter, our skin becomes drier and dehydrated. Cold air has far less humidity and indoor heating is also very drying to the skin. Here are some tips to combat dry winter skin:
Prep Your Environment
Drier air means drier skin, therefore keep a humidifier running in rooms where you spend most of your time, like your bedroom and office. In addition, keep the heat on lower temperatures to avoid extra dryness.
Minimize Long Hot Showers
When it’s cold, it’s tempting to turn up the heat in the shower – but it’s not good for your skin. Hot water removes your skin’s natural oils and barriers – and the longer you are in the shower, the more natural protective oils are lost. Instead, take short showers (no more than 7 minutes) with warm water. Also, limit yourself to one shower a day.
Dry winter skin requires a soft touch. Instead of using scrubbing devices such as washcloths, sponges, nylon mesh puffs, loofah sponges, etc., use your hands when applying soap. And try to use only unscented soaps labeled “For Sensitive Skin.” If you prefer to bathe in a tub, you shouldn’t use any soap at all. Soaking in soapy, sudsy water will make your skin even drier. Bath oils and bath salts (oatmeal preparations) are okay, but again – only use unscented products.
Really, really – you must moisturize. It is best to apply moisturizer right after a shower, while your skin is still a little damp. In addition to keeping in your body’s own oils, the moisturizer will help to keep in your body’s own oils and protect your skin from the cold. We recommend moisturizers that are unscented and labeled “For Sensitive Skin”. For severely dry skin, creams are better than lotions. We recommend:
- For the face: SkinMedica’s Dermal Repair and Obagi’s Hydrate Lux.
- For the body: Glytone Exfoliating Body Lotion and Obagi’s KeraPhine Body Smoothing lotion
- Over-the-counter moisturizers we recommend include Vaseline, Aveeno, Cerave, Curel, Cetaphil, Eucerin, Lubriderm, Neutrogena, Oil of Olay, and Vanicream.
Hydrate from the Inside Out
There is a direct connection between your internal health and your skin’s condition. The quality and level of nutrients you put into your body have a distinct effect on the appearance and health of your skin. In the winter, it’s even more important to replenish the nutrients and hydration your body and skin needs. We recommend:
- More Water! – Drink as much water as possible and cut back on dehydrating drinks such as alcohol and coffee.
- Nutrition – Eating foods high in water content will help hydrate your skin from the inside out. We recommend watermelon, cantaloupe, apples, oranges, kiwi, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and carrots. Increasing your daily intake of fats (walnuts, olive oil, avocados) will help improve the condition of your dry skin. Extra Vitamin C and Zinc will help support the production of collagen and elastin and extra Omega-3, fatty fish and flaxseed will help your skin appear supple and smooth.
- IV Therapy – IV Therapy provides a safe, fast and efficient way replenish your body with the hydration and nutrients it needs. It works by infusing vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and electrolytes directly into the bloodstream to ensure maximum absorption. To help improve the health and appearance of your skin, we recommend the Anti-Aging/Beauty treatment.
Pamper your Skin
At Belcara Health, we offer a variety of Advanced Skincare Treatments and products to help hydrate and protect your skin for a youthful, smooth, dewy, glowing appearance. We recommend:
- HydraFacial – a multi-step treatment that cleanses, extracts, and delivers nourishing moisturizers, antioxidants, and peptides for immediate, lasting, fabulous results.
- Oxygen Facial – a treatment uses pressurized oxygen to replenish the levels of oxygen in your skin and allow the serum to penetrate deeper into the skin, restoring a youthful, dewy, glowing appearance.
- SkinMedica’s HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator – a product that envelops skin in a veil of instant and long-lasting moisture for continuous hydration. HA5 contains a blend of five forms of Hyaluronic Acid, which helps the skin produce its own hyaluronic acid and has a smoothing effect on the skin.
Protect from the Sun
Even in the winter, you must protect your skin with a good SPF sunscreen. Even though the days are short and cold, the sun’s UV rays will still damage your skin. An easy way to remember sunscreen is to incorporate a product or makeup that already contains sunscreen.
- EltaMD’s Broad-Spectrum SPF line
- SkinMedica’s Total Defense and Repair.
To learn more tips on maintaining healthy, hydrated, happy skin, call us!