We can all benefit from taking good care of our eyes, but sometimes this important area gets neglected. Like the rest of our bodies, eyes are vulnerable to the aging process, which can impact both function and appearance. Ophthalmologist Dr. Adler is here to share some healthy habits for maintaining young, beautiful eyes.
1. Wear sunscreen. One of the most effective ways to prevent aging is to use sunscreen regularly. The skin around the eyes is delicate and thin, making it more likely to show spotting and wrinkling caused by sun damage than areas with more fatty tissue. Daily sunscreen does wonders in terms of putting off visible aging around the eyes.
2. Wear sunglasses. Sunglasses serve two purposes—they’re a fun accessory AND they protect your eyes! Look for a pair that’s polarized or has built in SPF. While protecting your eyes, you’ll also keep from squinting, which can cause deep furrows, crow’s feet, and other wrinkles over time.
We offer designer eyewear right here at Belcara Heatlh. Stop by our Optical Store today to choose from our wide range of regular glasses and sunglasses so you can keep your eyes comfortable and your face relaxed during all seasons.
3. Don’t sleep in your contacts. It may be an extra step at the end of the day, but it’s important to give your eyes a break and let them really breathe each day. When your eyes are tired and dry because you’ve been wearing contacts without a break, you’ll end up squinting by default—which, once again, starts those deep lines and wrinkles in the delicate tissue around the eye. Not to mention the damage it can cause to your eye itself, including potential infection or scratches.
4. Have regular eye exams. Make sure to keep your prescription up-to-date with frequent eye exams. This helps avoid straining and squinting, which are bad for your eyes and your skin. It’s also important in preventing age related vision loss. If detected early, many eye issues can be resolved and improve the quality of your long-term eye health. Bonus: glasses are a fun way to express your personal style from head to toe.
5. Eat for your eyes. Actually, just eat well in general! A healthy diet with lots of dark, leafy greens, which include nutrients such as Vitamin A, C, E and lutein, may help fight the development of cataracts. Eating whole foods helps treat the skin from the inside out and contributes to keeping eyes healthy. A carrot a day keeps the eye doctor away!
6. Don’t smoke. Smoking is dangerous for overall health and causes skin, including the tissue around the eyes, to age prematurely. It also increases the likelihood of developing cataracts, macular degeneration, and optic nerve damage. If you’re currently a smoker, talk to your doctor about quitting. If you don’t currently smoke, don’t start!
Healthy eyes add a great deal to your long term happiness. Caring for the eyes, as well as the skin around them, helps our patients look and feel young much longer than those who neglect these important areas. At Belcara Health, we offer comprehensive eye care. If you have any questions about eye health or anti-aging treatments for the eyes, contact our office today.